Welcome. This blog was created share the happenings of my life, and thoughts on issues pertaining to whatever I'm interested in. Much as I am apolitical (I rather not take sides), I often blog about sociopolitical and socioeconomic matters.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

lifestory: biologist turned historian turned biologist

Ok, i'm joking. How can one change path so many times?

I was a student of biology in my high school. It was the love of my life. I had abandoned it for History. And now I'm back, with something incredulous. Microfluidics. Gee, you might ask, what the heaven is that?

It's something i cannot yet describe. Very complex. I'm studying deterministic lateral displacement, cytoskeletal structures, cell/nucleus deformity, all of which falls under mechanobiology. It doesn't help that i hate physics.

What I read about in 4 days and still couldn't understand (all of that crazy stuff above), I undestood in 2 minutes of youtube. Quite cool, eh?

Maybe that's the reason why Watson and Crick was SO SUCCESSFUL. They used the kid's way of learning - toys, some call it - models. Perhaps, as a historian, I could imagine the impact of the entire audience when they saw the DNA structure. Sounds dumb, clamps and wooden sticks. But hey, for the first time, scientists in the molecular field SAW the structure.

woohoo~

http://pre.aps.org/abstract/PRE/v83/i5/e056301
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmgP8fBfcJU (i watched it without the music first time, it's irritating i know)

really looking forward to interviewing that A*Star senior research scientist, Dr Keng-Hwee Chiam. Sounds beyond me. Lucky, I'm doing it with Syaheed, quite a genius in his own ways, who knew what IHPC was and exclaimed "Cool!" at the sound of mechanobiology.