Welcome. This blog was created share the happenings of my life, and thoughts on issues pertaining to whatever I'm interested in. Much as I am apolitical (I rather not take sides), I often blog about sociopolitical and socioeconomic matters.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The price to pay for beauty

There is a price to pay for everything good. "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys."

As I was looking for inspiration to write, I discovered that after "how to be ... happy", the next search is "how to be... anorexic".

Actually, I personally think we live in an era where anorexia is cool. In fact, being slender, or toned, or busty, or anorexic, is considered desirable. One of the top 10 searches of Google 2010 is - how to lose weight. The fashion industry is getting a huge portion of ladies' income - anything from bags to clothes to jewellery to aesthetic surgeries.

It made me think about "opportunity costs".

All ladies want a perfect body, thanks to the mass media. Myself included. I was seriously thinking about being anorexia, and switching to a boiled veggies/fish diet with no carb. I probably won't die, but I won't function as well in class. There comes the big question - is it worth it?

Of course, keeping fit is well worth it to ensure performance in work, good health, and longevity. Quick solutions like slimming centres and cosmetic operations costs only money and proper maintenance. Then again, one should think twice whether these are truly necessary. To one, it might be a frivolous expenditure; to another, absolute necessity.

My braces was an absolute necessity. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a cheerful disposition, but before I had braces, I feared smiling, despite the fact that I actually feel happy most of the time. People told me I would never find a job with crooked teeth, and that I would scare bosses and boys away. That is a big deal. Having pleaded and denied of braces, I waited, and happily paid 1.5x more than what I might have paid in the past, just to do it private, and quick.

My point in this post is that - don't do anything because the society compels you to do it; do it only because you need it and it makes you happy.

Today is the day where I finally removed my braces, bleached my teeth, and did my first hair treatment

No comments:

Post a Comment