Welcome. This blog was created share the happenings of my life, and thoughts on issues pertaining to whatever I'm interested in. Much as I am apolitical (I rather not take sides), I often blog about sociopolitical and socioeconomic matters.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

It's the exam period.

In conjunction with the exam period, I have, to my great surprise, many seniors encouraging me.

The first is my boss (Yihan Tan), in response to my great dilemma "A Hopeless Battle? but..."

http://www.narutoget.com/watch/389-naruto-episode-25-english-subbed.html

Insights from this episode:
Exams aren't about learning the stuff, but learning the skills to solve those problems. (Yes I know I'm very chill about exams, to have watched Naruto.)

It almost never occurred to me that NUS really is the training ground to fight battles. Some get it tough. Most acquire battle tenacity - without realising they are battle-seasoned, to burn midnight oil, not sleep for 3 days 3 nights just to churn out reports. Some acquire the skill of being an Intelligence Agent - how to get information. Some find out what is important in life through all these pressure tests, and decide to focus. Many (in fact, most) learn to cope with failures, heartbreaks, disappointment, criticisms etc. It is noted of course that while many hope to get a "C" at least, some deem B+ as a "fail", and some would void an A-. To each his own.

The second comes from my roommate in India (Haza), to tell me how much of an irritating mugger I am, whether or not I believe I get those A's.

http://insomniac.fassclub.org/tiding-through-exams-knowing-the-buggers-from-your-muggers/

Here, there are 4 types of people we "hate" - the Elites who finished revising 2 months before the exam, the Insecure who thinks he/she hasn't been able to "finish 5 chapters" when others go "There is a textbook? (silly troll smile)" The worry-er are the smart but worry too much to perform. The last kind is "I don't give a hoot about this project, nor readings, nor exams, nor lessons." (groupmates from hell)

Fascinating. I've been tag as one of them (unsure which one though).

No comments:

Post a Comment