Welcome. This blog was created share the happenings of my life, and thoughts on issues pertaining to whatever I'm interested in. Much as I am apolitical (I rather not take sides), I often blog about sociopolitical and socioeconomic matters.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Insight from Christian Louboutin


In case you're as backward as I am in fashion, Christian Louboutin is a 47-year-old man. But his name is synonymous with shoes. And what's so special about his shoes?
1. It's synonymous with platform heels
2. This pair over here costs (only) USD999. There are more expensive ones, of course.
*3. Red soles

Whoever thought of red soles must have been... It's the last thing people think of. People don't even think soles should be seen, let alone remembered. Louboutin has branded himself for RED SOLES.

My first brush with Louboutin shoes happened when I was viewing "Marry the Night" MV by Lady Gaga. It really did not occur to me that these red soles are so famous.
Victoria Beckham ordered an 8-inch heel for her Royal Wedding.
When I was in Abu Dhabi, every other girl was wearing a 6-inch Louboutin. Under the black abaya (robe). And they have enough not to repeat the same pair for 2 weeks at least.

Hmm.

Some sort of conditioning - strange, it sounds - that makes one fall in love with these red soles. My point for the day is: something as inconspicuous yet conspicuous can make money. My class on conspicuous consumption (in Evolution) has not really addressed this.

These shoes are not vastly different from those in the market (unless you compare intricacies like detail, cut, etc). And red soles. Yet they have outcompeted every shoe company in 20 years to become one of the most prominent shoe brands.

Lessons from shoemakers:
1. Louboutin first painted those soles with red nail polish. Great ideas don't cost a bomb.
2. 9-year-old Ferragamo stayed up all night to make a pair of shoes for his sister, because his mother had no money to buy any. Hard work and dedication is always the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment