Welcome. This blog was created share the happenings of my life, and thoughts on issues pertaining to whatever I'm interested in. Much as I am apolitical (I rather not take sides), I often blog about sociopolitical and socioeconomic matters.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Survival of the Noblest

There are a few jobs that are recognised as "noble" at least in Singapore - nurses, teachers, social workers, paramedics, housewives/homemakers.

Surprise, surprise, all teachers. If you google "noblest jobs", your top searches are mostly related to TEACHING (maybe the websites trolled us or something).

I always thought a lot about this profession - how tough can it be??? Why does everyone complain? I suppose, the stress comes from all sides. Your principal, head of department, very-senior-colleagues, peers, very-junior-colleagues, naughty students, troubled family students, good students who has a crush on you, students who get too much homework at home, students who refuse to do homework no matter what you do, students who think you're too stupid, students who think you are a witch... And let's not forget, parents. They want you to be a nurturer, care-taker, counsellor, sexuality education educator, conservative, creative, hardworking, professional-looking, watchdog against boy-girl relationship, and of course, polish those diamonds in your class whether or not students are real diamonds, synthetic diamonds, carbide, graphite, charcoal or carbon dioxide.

Recently, I met a friend, who told me that senior teachers who stay in the job are not there because it's survival of the fittest, but survival of the noblest. Those who have pride already quit. Those who are there for the money would have found it too hard.

I think my friend's right. :) But it's still a rewarding job!


No comments:

Post a Comment