Welcome. This blog was created share the happenings of my life, and thoughts on issues pertaining to whatever I'm interested in. Much as I am apolitical (I rather not take sides), I often blog about sociopolitical and socioeconomic matters.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

rants: campus accommodation

I'm feeling really frustrated with the NUS accommodation, and whom can I blame? I was offered accommodation previously at UTown, Single Corridor Room. I've gotten the last of the last choices - UTown, suite. Over here, 5 girls who starts off as strangers will live together. I wonder what future holds.

I like my own space, a space away from needing to talk to people. I'm afraid that I would have to face people whom I'm not used to. I'm scared of the uncertainty ahead.

I'm also paying slightly more for (hopefully cleaner) en-suite toilets.

I've stayed in a suite before and besides the very beautiful models constructed by the two architects-to-be and the 2 cleaning aunties whom became my good friends, staying in a suite is really not my thing : /

The long process of trying and trying is really tiring. I hope that this is the last call. So here's my long story.

Applied to stay in C. College, Single Corridor; application accepted
Withdrew application due to some very emotionally-distressing experiences
Told to wait 1.5 months before I can apply for other residences
Waited
The day finally came. I could not apply because the system did not allow me to stay anywhere else other than C. College. Wrote in. Solved, after a few days.
Finally applied
Waited some more
Results came: unsuccessful; long waiting list
Emailed Prof X, asked if there is another place I could stay
Prof X replied, saying I could choose A. College or RVR
Thought a long time. Didn't like the expensive and mundane meal plan in UTown. Decided to choose A. College over RVR.
Prof X asked Master of A. College if I could stay. Master said I have to write in personally.
After labouriously thinking of what I can offer, I stayed up half a night to write the first initiative of my life - a pilot project, to help needy students in NUS, by ... (I can't tell you yet!). Continued revamping my resume, squeezed every single drop of my brain juice to write a cover letter (that I'm extremely proud of, even till today), a cover letter that communicates me (not my competency, but me, as a person, as a student, as an aspiring teacher).
Finally sent the application (after drafting the email many times)
Got a response days later; I've been accepted!!!

THEN...
Admin wrote to me saying that the system is opened for me to sign up
I signed in. Nope, doesn't work. I'm listed as "Unsuccessful" in application for residences.
Wrote back to tell them to put me in A. College. Admin wrote back saying I need to apply through A.College (but hey, I've already been accepted!)
Wrote to admin of my problem.
They wrote back, asking for my matric number. Finally! :)
I gave my matric number.
Waited.
They told me I can apply now.
I logged in. "C. College - Application Rejected"
No, that's not what I applied for.
Wrote back to get them to change.
Waited.
They wrote back saying they've changed.
I logged in. Nope, they haven't.
I wrote back saying they haven't updated it.
They told me to try again.
Ah. Finally. I see it! :)
Applied. Paid application fee.
Waited.
Accepted!! :D "Please log in to accept."
Logged in. No "Accept Offer" button! : X
Desperate. Log in again from another computer. Can't work. Wrote to admin.
Waited.
Admin wrote back, asking me to check again.
It's done!!! :D I can accept offer now!
BUT
Oh my...
I'm staying in a suite! (I want a corridor room.)

- Heaves a long sigh... -

The moral of the story: The system is never at fault. It's all our fault. Ok, my fault... *chuckles!* 

1 comment:

  1. hahaha..what a great blog that you have posted right now, it gives us some lessons

    toilet suites

    ReplyDelete