Welcome. This blog was created share the happenings of my life, and thoughts on issues pertaining to whatever I'm interested in. Much as I am apolitical (I rather not take sides), I often blog about sociopolitical and socioeconomic matters.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"Progress is always good!" Agreed?

No, if they are not organic.

This is a statement brought up in one of the debates I've had this term. I refuse to believe so, because the definition of progress is fundamentally relative.

Tear away my favourite buildings to build greater, taller ones. This could happen to NUS. I have to admit there's nothing warm and fuzzy about NUS except the people, and you are entitled to your differing opinions.

But here goes: "If being Western is seen as progressive, we should all follow, because progress is always good!"

Yes, in that people who choose to be "Western" are happy. It's tough to live up to social pressure though. Especially for people who consciously choose not to change their belief systems, or people who are forced to do so.

Cultural Imperialism, is this?

Having said so much:
1. It's futile - imperialism happens all the time; subjugation of culture happens all the time...
2. It's a post-modernist view of mine - perhaps I would think differently if I were living in the 15th century

But really? Is progress always good?